This week, a potential auto accident client called our office with the question, "I have been in an accident and have medical bills. What insurance company do I submit the bills to?"

This is a question that we get all the time with people in our office. You don’t feel like your health insurance should cover it with your deductibles because it's the other guy's fault.

The reality is that when you are hurt in an accident, you need to seek treatment as soon as possible. If you have health insurance, it is wise to use your health insurance to pay your medical bills as they come up. In the long run, you end up paying less that way as well. Your health insurance company has a contracted rate with your medical providers so that the insurance company only pays a portion of the amount billed, and the rest is written off or discounted by your doctors. When your claim is settled, your health insurance company will have the right to be reimbursed for the amount they actually paid, the contracted rate, to your doctors. So basically, if you use your own health insurance, more of the settlement monies in the case will go directly to you rather than all of your doctors.

You already have a lot to deal with after an auto accident. You are receiving medical treatment, you are missing work, and you are trying to get your car fixed or replaced. It can relieve a little bit of stress off of you by having your health insurance worry about paying your medical bills and you can take time to recover.